Sunday, November 9, 2008

Big Bonnet





This is a strange marriage of two 40's blocks. It's a Toque Crown and Asymmetrical Brim. It almost ended in divorce and a whole new hat. It started when I blocked the crown backwards, Front is back and Back is front. I wanted it to sit more forward than what the brim was intended for, not a Bonnet so I hand re-blocked the crown into a modified Fedora. The trim is a one piece hand made felt ball cascade. I made a few of those as head bands and gave them away for gifts. I still wonder if they ever wear them..

3 comments:

Cristina de Prada - milliner said...

The result is stunning, I'm happy it didn't end up as a divorce.
The ball cascade is just wonderful... I hope those that received the headband use it, they would be fools not to!

Armando y Montez said...

Cristina! 1940's hats, what do you think? They're my most favorite decade for the hat. A lot of shapes are surreal and so sculptural. I love 40's Musicals and so inspired by them. The plots are mostly horrendous and the old "Boy meets Girl Boy loses Girl gets Girl back is usually the story but the costumes and HATS! Dreamy. One of my favorites is "The Dolly Sisters" if you can get a hold of that one and fast forward to the musical parts It's great. Thank you for your incredibly kind words.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I am just SO glad the plots were simple in the 40's flicks; I am also so busy looking at the hats I completely lose track of the story line!